Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Deep Down I Still Want to be Cool

Not that I was ever supremely cool to begin with. But sometimes my inner rock star desperately wants to make an appearance...somewhere between the homeschooling, the mini-van driving and the grocery shopping. Just a little bit. I don't want to recapture my youth (good Lord no! Anyone who says that may not remember high school clearly enough) and I don't want to jump into some wildly age-inappropriate outfit and try to figure out how to look like I belong in a vintage record store. But every once in a while I'd like to feel...hmmm...not quite so old. Is that fair?

Well, last month I got to do just that. And it was all thanks to Major Dad.

The story starts way back in December, right before Christmas. I went to the mall to get shoes for the kids (cause there was a sale and I had a coupon...that's the "old" me part of the story). Well, in the parking lot I had a boo-boo. A pretty big boo-boo. I was pulling forward through the parking space and I scraped against the neighboring car. And not only did I scrape against it, I managed to pull my bumper almost entirely off. Yeah, oops.

I left a note with all my information and told the kids about being responsible and all that, but I felt rotten. Just rotten. Major Dad earned bonus points because he asked if I was ok and told me "accidents happen" before he laughed at me.

Anyway, the car needed lots of work. Lots. So I ended up with a rental car. A nice, economical Chevy Impala. Blech. But, the rental car person wasn't having the best day so not only did she accidentally charge me $100 when she shouldn't have, the gas tank was also on empty. And, she left all of her rental car keys in the Impala when she let me drive off. So I left with the keys to all of the cars on her lot. And you thought you had some bad days. Well, of course I returned the keys to her as soon as I noticed them, but Major Dad was not pleased with the customer service. So, being major Dad he called and had a "talking to" with the company.

And voila...upgrade.

I felt awful about it (because I'm allergic to confrontation), but I went anyway to get the upgrade.

This upgrade....


That's right, a brand spankin' new Dodge Charger as specifically requested by Major Dad. He knows me so well. And I got to drive it for three whole days. Three days of rolling down the highway in a muscle car. Vroom. True I had two kids in the back and I spent most of the time saying things like "do NOT drop your Cookie Crisp on the floor this car doesn't belong to us." But still, it was a fun three days.

7 comments:

  1. There are many a day I miss my mustang. Love you, shel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now convinced that Mustangs, Chargers, and muscle cars in general can make great family vehicles. :) Love you too, Shel!

      Delete
  2. What a cool (and thoughtful) hubby! :-) Must have been great driving that car! I don't think I've driven anything other than a minivan or SUV in 15 years, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he's a keeper. :) Of course he has his Harley, so maybe he felt sorry for me stuck in the mom-mobile. :)

      Delete
  3. That car is cool, but sometimes I think I'm the only person alive who actually loves driving a 12 passenger van. :) I know, I'm weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird is good! I bet no one cuts you off in traffic. :)

      Delete
  4. Dearie, Honey B tells me that she only keeps me around because it makes her look younger to have me there - don't even get me started about that girl. Maybe you should find some older, chubby, gray haired person to hang with so you can feel oh-so-young as well? Although if it was up to me, I would take the Charger instead.
    Blessings,
    Queen B.

    ReplyDelete