Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I was Right and Wrong at the Same Time

This is what happens in our house when the caffeine has worn off and it's time for the grown-ups to go to bed.

Major Dad: "Oh what a wicked web we weave when we practice to deceive."

Me: Nope.

Major Dad: Nope?

Me: Nope. It's "Oh what a wicked web we weave when first we practice to deceive."

Major Dad: First?

Me: Yep.

Major Dad: Are you sure?

Me: Absolutely.

Major Dad: Ok.

Me: And it's not a wicked web, it's tangled.

Major Dad: It's a tangled web?

Me: Yep.

Major Dad: But wicked works too.

Me: Tangled is more poetic.

Major Dad: Fine. It's a tangled web.

Me: And where's it from?

Major Dad: (pause) Charlotte's Web?

Me: (blink, blink) Sometimes the blog just writes itself.

*Full disclosure: I rather smugly thought I knew the quote was from Shakespeare. Turns out I was wrong. Granted I didn't say this out loud so I was only wrong in my own brain, but that's still wrong and my conscience wouldn't allow me to let you guys think I'm a super genius. Hence this confession of my secret quote attribution wrongness. But come on...it sounds like Shakespeare. And really anytime you want to guess where a quote comes from Shakespeare is pretty good bet. Unless the quote is something like "Oops, I did it again" or "Is that your final answer?"

P.S. The quote is actually from Marmion by Sir Walter Scott. Thank you, Google.

2 comments: